Friday 5 April 2019

Evidence of light in the darkness of a pauper lunatic asylum

The third and final letter in my great-grandfather's medical casebook was written a few years after the others, on 18 February 1915. In it, David Ritchie Sr addresses the Medical Superintendent by name. This, combined with the frank style of the letter, indicates to me that enough groundwork has been laid for raising issues of concern. Even so, the letter has disturbing elements, as you will see when you read it.
Once again, I thought hard about whether to publish the letter and decided to do so because it is an opportunity to bridge the gap between regular society and the mentally ill. I wish to show that not all people who spend time in a psychiatric hospital or ward are non-functional. In the case of David Ritchie Sr, he remained articulate and cooperative during his first 6 years at Hanwell and possibly beyond. Moreover, far from being a dangerous maniac, he was a person who preferred to avoid conflict and violence at all costs.
Here is the letter:
"Dr PW Bailey, Sir, There has been another fight in the ward this morning, two yesterday, and the man who cut my cheek open came up to me and said he would punch my b- face in. I had to seize his arm and had a job to get away from him without being struck. Does it please you to know that I am thoroughly miserable, that I do not know how to contain myself and be patient as I contemplate my life being wasted and rendered barren of all good by your callous neglect and cruel unmerciful treatment? You appear to do all you can to degrade and unman me and dishearten me and I shall place it all before the Lunacy Commissioners both orally and in writing and see whether I cannot secure fair play and different treatment in the future. Yours etcetera, DS Ritchie. PS When do you intend to place me with men like myself?"
Judy Lester, who transcribed the letter for me, added the following note: "The above letter has been annotated in red across the top left-hand corner: 'The fight referred to in this letter was an assault by Thomas F Williams on Thomas Brasier on February 18 PB'
I believe that, were David Ritchie Sr alive today, he would be recognised as an HSP [Highly Sensitive Person] and prescribed medication to treat his condition. Being locked up for a lifetime would not happen because his symptoms would be managed. He would be working as an artist, filmmaker, software developer or accountant in a quiet office. Conditions are so different today. People can choose the lifestyle that suits them, moving away from the city if the pressure is too great. This man, who fretted about his life being "wasted and rendered barren of all good" may even have turned his experience working in stately homes into a diplomatic career.
Yet this was only 1915. His life's story still has value a century later. I believe the letters and the rest of the medical casebook have come to light for a reason. If nothing else, his example is inspiring. From a broken man who was brought to the workhouse in a state of delirium, he put effort into his recovery and strove to get the kind of treatment he knew was his right.
Photo credit: "Northern light" by Patrice-photgraphiste.

No comments:

Post a Comment