Tuesday 12 March 2019

What to do with insanity in the family

My great-grandfather David Scott Ritchie Sr was committed to an asylum and lived there until he died at the age of 92. When I first learned of this fact I was mildly intrigued. Then I sobered up as realisation dawned. Assuming he is my biological relative, I carry some of his genes and so do my children.
I intend to share the doctor's report on this blog but, in doing so, I feel I should address the question of what it might mean to you if you are one of David Ritchie's descendants. If you want to find out more but are afraid of what you may discover, consider following these suggestions:
1. Acknowledge your fear
People who pretend they are unafraid of something expend energy trying to avoid ever coming into contact with it. Accept that you are afraid so that your subconscious mind can stop wasting valuable brainpower on self-deception and -diversion. Admit to feeling threatened and allow yourself to experience uncertainty and doubt.
2. Name what you are afraid of
Take time to identify what exactly makes you frightened. If it is losing your mind, being rejected by your loved ones, living in a psychiatric institution, never becoming all you could be,, or going down in history as a hopeless case, say so. By naming the thing you most fear, you take away its monster-in-the-dark quality and render it less scary.
3. Exercise curiosity
Once you have named your fear, it becomes possible to examine it more closely. You can access information from online articles, books and documentary films. If you are specifically worried about symptoms of mental illness, you can book an appointment with a doctor or psychologist to discuss your concerns. Talk to people who have been treated for various psychiatric conditions and find out how both their ailment and their treatment have affected their lives. Do whatever you can to increase your knowledge, since knowledge diminishes fear and helps you take informed action.
4. Adjust your personal narrative
With increased knowledge comes the need to update the story you tell yourself and others. For example, if you were in the habit of saying, "I'd rather not know" or "Innocence is bliss", it's time for a change. Try something like this instead: "There's a chance I may have inherited some form of mental illness but I'm not showing any symptoms. If symptoms should appear, I know where to get treatment. In the meantime, I'm grateful for my health." A story like this will replace anxiety and stress with a sense of general wellbeing and peace.
5. Share what you have discovered
The more you come to believe your new story, the more you will notice how fear and denial grip the minds of others. Having freed yourself from fear, you are now in a position to encourage them to follow the same path. Be patient and compassionate with family members who resist knowing the truth about their ancestor. If they persist in avoiding it to the point of delusion, violence or bizarre behaviour, seek professional medical assistance.
Photo credit: "Monsters under my bed" by Kamila Gornia.

No comments:

Post a Comment