Monday 1 April 2019

A glimpse inside my great-grandfather's troubled mind

About 18 months after entering the London County Asylum, David Scott Ritchie Sr wrote to the staff asking for a discharge. His letter was preserved along with the medical casebook from the London Metropolitan Archives. Its content came as somewhat of a surprise to me.
I don't really know what I was expecting, but certainly it was not the very respectful and well-worded letter that came from the pen of this so-called lunatic. See what you think:
Dear sir, I should be obliged if you would grant me an interview, with the idea of determining whether you could recommend me at the next sitting of the committee for my discharge, for a month on trial. My wife came to see me yesterday and spoke to Dr Cheadle in your absence. Dr Cheadle said he thought I was hardly so well as I was a few months ago, but this is not my experience; I feel better in health and spirits than I have for the past twelve months. I feel quite capable of earning my living and I beg you will give me the chance. My wife is writing you on the same subject. Hoping for your favourable consideration. I remain Yours respectfully, DS Ritchie
The letter is dated 31 January 1911. This means David Ritchie wrote it in the middle of winter. Yet it sounds as if he is feeling comfortable and upbeat. His comment about feeling better than he has for the last 12 months is interesting, given that 1910 saw the death of King Edward VII and the ascension to the throne of King George V.
Then again, his buoyancy of spirit may be completely unrelated to the events that took place beyond the asylum walls. It could simply be the result of rest, proper treatment and much-needed support from his wife.
Photo credit: "King George V, 1911" by Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi.

No comments:

Post a Comment