Sunday 20 January 2019

Why my grandmother reminds me of bells

Bells are usually associated with weddings, aren't they? I wish I could devote the whole of this post to my grandmother's wedding 90 years ago but sadly I have very little information to share. The marriage took place on 18 may 1929 at St Paul's Church in Haggerston in the parish of Shoreditch in the East End of London. The witnesses to the marriage were Hilda Mary Charlotte Wright and Archibald William Wright. The vicar was Wilfred H. Abbot if I have read it correctly. I'm afraid I don't even have a photo of the wedding to share. I wanted to look up the weather on the day [sometimes mentioned in forecasts or reports in old newspapers] but researching in newspapers is a whole other skill which I haven't yet mastered. So I'm going to ask you to join me in a little exercise instead. My grandmother, known to everyone as Sandy, used to say that she grew up in range of the 6 famous bells featured in the nursery rhyme, "Oranges and Lemons". They are, of course, the bells of St Clement's, St Martin's, Old Bailey, Shoreditch, Stepney and Bow. You can hear a lovely rendering of the song here, and as you do, imagine the peal of all these bells ringing out over the Thames dockyards, East End streets and wedding guests on Grandma's special day. Bells continued to be part of her life right into her golden years. She and my grandfather retired to a house at the beach in the late 1960's and decorated it with many of the treasures they had gathered in their round-the-world travels. Among these was a sturdy brass bell in a bell-rest which they used at the dinner table to summon their "house-boy", Charlie. Thinking back to that dignified old gentleman in his white tunic and trousers, smartly trimmed with red, I cringe, but that was the way my ancestors lived. Come to think of it, I wonder where Charlie's people are now?

No comments:

Post a Comment