Saturday 26 January 2019

Beginning my genetic journey with 23andMe

When my daughters asked me what I would like for my birthday this year, I suggested that the whole family contribute towards getting me a DNA testing kit. I love gifts that are useful, and this one tied directly into my new interest in genealogy. Although the girls weren't aware of the current trend in family history that uses DNA to locate ancestors and living relatives, they readily agreed to my idea. Thus it was that, a week before my birthday, while my husband and I were visiting our daughter Tammy in the United Kingdom, I received my 23andMe testing kit, all neatly contained in a chocolate-box-sized package.
Tammy let me take it out of its bag and unwrap it. Then she read the instructions. The first step was to create an online account with 23andMe and register my kit. That was straightforward enough. An email in my inbox confirmed that my account had been created and my kit successfully registered.
The second step was to work out how to use the saliva collection tube. Tammy made a big deal of this for my benefit, calling it "the medical stuff". Actually, It wasn't complicated, but being visually impaired, I needed someone sighted to ensure I did everything right. For one thing, I had to wait at least half an hour after eating dessert before I could take the test. Then I had to be sure the tube was full without putting my finger into it to feel the level. Finally, when the tube was full, it had to be properly sealed according to the directions in order to reach the laboratory without contamination or leakage.
The third step was an online health survey in several parts. Although optional, I was keen to participate in the full experience so I made a start. The questions ranged from naming the medical conditions I had suffered from to stating my general outlook on life. Some sections could be skipped if they were irrelevant but it was certainly a very detailed and thorough questionnaire. I expect many people would find it tedious. For my part, I saw how the answers to the questions could significantly advance research in the field of gene therapy. Since my own blindness is caused by a genetic mutation, and because there's such potential for treating it with stem cell therapy, I support the ethical collection of research data.
There was a cheerful red postbox outside Tammy's flat where I posted the resealed, self-addressed 23andMe package. As I write this, my saliva test kit is somewhere in transit between England and the Netherlands. There is still a lot for me to learn about the process but I firmly believe in learning by doing. This is an experience which will teach me much, not just about my relatives, but about the whole field of identifying and/or treating inherited diseases, conditions and traits.

No comments:

Post a Comment